Thursday 6 August 2015

Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich

I've been exploring Norwich for almost a year now and I've found some fantastic new haunts, little nooks and fascinating crannies. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich As well as cakey places, I've enjoyed sampling good beer and BBQ, with a visit to the Ten Bells pub on St Benedict's back in the new year introducing me to an unexpected treat. Whilst tucking into delicious pop-up barbecue food from "Bite The Bullitt" at this venue one weekend, we were offered a surprise course on finishing our tasty and fine, meaty feast. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich The table next to us played host to the team from a local bakery and they had brought with them an array of desserts to tuck into whilst there for a belated Christmas staff party. That bakery was Pye Baker of Norwich and the Bite the Bullitt waiter came over to ask if we would like to try some baked white chocolate chip cheesecake courtesy of this very sharing table. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich We would have been rude to have said no, so we sampled (I'm not kidding when I say this) the most delicious, creamiest cheesecake I've ever had the delight of eating. Since we ate this cheesecake, no others have come anywhere near close when the cheesecake fairy brings on the craving pangs. So, a few weeks back I went on a mini mission all on my lonesome... to hunt down these guys, weaving through busy Norwich City traffic and trusting following the sat nav, combined with my almost-trustworthy sense of direction to find the bakery. My first/essential piece of advice would be this. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich Make sure you put the correct address in the sat nav. Not only do they list their location for the bakery (of which you can sit in or take away food) on their website, but they also list their baking premises for their freshly baked goods. I, of course, followed the directions to the latter, ending up on an industrial estate in the middle of the city in a dazed state of confusion. This was not the bakery I could pop into for a cuppa and a slice of cheesecake.... This was the bakery where the magic happens and the goods despatched from. Oops. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich Once I had finally got myself out of this little pickle, I soon found the bakery and enjoyed a good old nosey around. They sell freshly daily-baked bagels, breads, pastries, quiches, pizzas, tarts and the like, as well as supply local restaurants and shops with their goodies. The sweet menu is extensive, including croissants, muffins, scones, pies and tarts. On visiting, they also had a selection of mini sweet treats in the window such as honey Madeleines, huge fluffy meringues, Portuguese custard tarts and mini loaf cakes to tempt anyone walking past. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich As you walk up the counter you'll notice rows upon rows of delicate cakes, fancies and tortes such as their Italian chocolate torte with Amaretto or their fantastically big homemade marshmallow teacakes - I'm a sucker for all patisserie, so I was well and truly in my element. I opted for a small selection, taking them away to nibble on in our pyjamas on a dark and stormy summers' evening, just perfect. "The bearded one" was pleasantly surprised to find out that I'd managed to source some of that divine cheesecake and some other sweets for the next night, we managed to make these last longer than they could have done! Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich And why are they called Pye Bakery? Well, pye is the original spelling for pie and traditionally, under the "Norwich Charter" the local baker had to bake a Yarmouth Pye as a tax or levy to the king. Not only is this interesting, these guys are simply worth the visit next time you're craving something tasty in Norwich, they wouldn't have disappointed the king and they won't disappoint you. Just remember, head to the shop, not their baking premises - lesson learnt over here, plan your visit a little more than I did, ahem. If you are looking for a great, artisan baker in Norwich, then this is the place you need to be heading to. Review: Pye Baker Of Norwich www.Pyebaker.co.uk MSF Miss Sue Flay logo Green Brush   Read my new "About Me" page here! You can also read about Miss Sue Flay's "Around The World In 80 Stays Challenge"and other Secret Stays & Reviews here. See more of my travel videos here and more of my food review videos here. Or get in touch via social media through Facebook, Instagram & Twitter for a natter about life in general! Please note - I paid my way during this visit and I am in no means obliged to blog or write about their offerings, but I simply choose to share with my readers, should I enjoy the experience. Any questions or to discuss a "Secret Stay" or review, please do email:hello@misssueflay.com All images © 2015 Miss Sue Flay, these may not be used or reproduced without written permission from the owner, many thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment